Friday, April 30, 2021

Y is for yarn

 


    In an earlier blog, I wrote about my collection of pens and pencils. Well, I also love to buy yarn. The yarn store nearest me is Beveryly's Fabrics. They do sell fabric, but they sell lots of yarn too. Currently, I am working on some blankets for our new home; specifically, throw blankets for the my son's beds and one for the sofa. The color scheme in our house is mostly natural tones, as you can see by my yarn.    

I learned how to crochet when I was very young. After school, I would stop at my grandma's house before walking home. She would always make me a bowl of chicken with rice soup and sometimes I would get a crochet lesson. She used to crochet doilies with a very small sized crochet hook and medium weight thread. She must have had amazing eyesight now that I think about it. I used yarn and she used thread. She didn't hold her crochet hook in the traditional fashion and neither do I. I've tried to hold it the way it is shown in all the "how to crochet books" and videos, but I just can't do it. I hold my hook the way my grandma showed me.

    I have made hats, scarves and baby booties, but blankets are my favorite. I have read that crocheting is a form of meditation and I truly believe it. Crocheting forces me to be still, focus and breathe. I find that it's a great way to relax. 

    I enjoy crocheting gifts for others. This is a baby blanket I was working on in an airport waiting for our flight. It was for a teacher at my son's school who was expecting. 

    I have been to some amazing yarn stores! There is a quaint one in Carmel, Ca that sells very high end yarn. I bought some hairy yarn at this store and made some fabulous scarves for Christmas presents. My next favorite yarn store I've been to is in Cambria, south of Big Sur, Ca. I'm sure there will be many more yarn stores to discover in my future 💚

    What can I say, I love my hobbies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...