Tuesday, April 6, 2021

E is for Elephant 🐘

     If you follow me from A - Z, or even check in now and then - you'll essentially get to know me a little. And elephants have always been and still are one of my favorite animals on earth. 

    It all started when my mom and dad bought me a plastic Noah's ark set, complete with the little plastic animals and my favorite part - the ramp. I would have the animals go up and down that little brown ramp all day long. Anyway, my favorite was the elephant. Now that I'm older and I pay more attention to the nature of the animal, I am in awe of the elephant mothers and the care they give to their babies. The female is called a cow. They are very protective of their young and teach them how to lead a herd during hard times. The older female elephant also plays the role of the matriarch and ensures the survival of the family. 

    The males are called "bulls." They grow up and leave the herd, The mature bull elephant has an important role in leading the younger males. They have been mostly known for being loners, but evidence points to them traveling with other groups of males. The more mature bulls travel at the front of their herd, implying they have valuable ecological knowledge. Sitings of bulls are less rare than that of the female. Sadly, poaching is to account for some of this.

    Finally, I'll close with the phrase, "you have the memory of an elephant!" Where did that come from? Well, this short video can expand on that.    (click on link below)

                                                                                  ⬇️

                                                                  memory of an elephant

                                                                                      


                                                                         Bull Elephant 


                                                                     Mama and baby

    Yes, elephants are terribly dangerous too, but there is something mysteriously gentle about them ❤️ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...