Friday, April 8, 2022

"Getting Older"

 



 I wonder how many more sunset walks like these we'll take. This is a shot of our walking route. It's a 2 mile walk down the Esplanade at Sea Cliff State Beach. We have been watching the sun set here for years. That is my husband taking in the moment. There have been times when the sky looks like it's on fire. 

Every sunset is different, the same like every day of our lives is never the same. 

For me, I am at the stage in my life where not only am I aware that I'm getting older, but I am feeling it. This year, I have been overcome with feelings of no longer caring about what the world thinks of me, but caring more about me being true to myself. The days of keeping up with the latest of everything are behind me. I'm also not worrying about things I have no control over and accepting that every person is entitled to their own journey. I have had my share of worrying raising six children! Over it. I do what I can and ask God to watch over them. 

I had long hair and chopped it off two weeks ago. I no longer have to fuss with it in attempts to style a big hair look and constantly feel frustrated that it just doesn't look or feel right. Well, now I know why - because that wasn't me. I felt a sense of liberation  when I cut my hair into a very short layered bob. And I love it. My husband loves it and he loves me. He just wants me to be  happy. I let go of my hair. Is that how we achieve happiness, by letting go? This blog could go in so many different directions.

I was wondering if men go through a mental and emotional transition  or awakening as they enter their late 50's or early 60's. I know for my husband, he is more eager now travel. He wants to enjoy life and is more motivated today to be physical and socially active than ever. It can get kind of tricky when he is an extrovert and I am an introvert. We make it work. Again, another blog topic...

This has been a good year for me. I suppose I am thinking of myself less, in service to my community, keeping things simple, letting go of things and thoughts that don't serve me and letting the universe open doors I'm supposed to be going through

And yes, I do have a few physical pains, a couple of achy joints and I endured a double bunionectomy/osteotomy in early November of 2021. I have new beautiful feet and I push through the morning pain. Once I start moving, stretch and give thanks for another day - I am good to go! 

This getting older thing isn't so bad 🧡

8 comments:

  1. Ah yes, this getting older thing isn't so bad... I love how you reflect the priorities that rise up and the things that fall away! I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely said, I appreciate your insight Barb!

      Delete
  2. And, as I get older, I am letting my hair grow. I'd like to not worry about what the world thinks but I'm not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a work in progress Alice! and I think change is good :)

      Delete
  3. I suspect many of us have shed earlier concerns in recent years. Getting older does make you realise time’s ticking. Enjoying each day as you do is the way to go.

    visiting from A to Z. https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in my mid 50s and find myself caring less and less about what others think of me. I think my biggest struggle in getting older is dealing with an ever decreasing tolerance of idiots, this gets me in to a lot of trouble with the wife who despairs of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My circle of people is definitely smaller than it used to be and that's fine with me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...