Saturday, April 10, 2021

“I is for Ice Hockey”

    I sat here for 10 minutes, not able to come up with a blog for the letter “I.” I look up at the TV to see what the score is and realize I’m watching an NHL game. Ice Hockey!

    We have had season tickets for the San Jose Sharks for 25 years, up until Covid. We love our Sharks. I had never been to an ice hockey game until the Sharks came to be in San Jose, California. They play at the SAP center (better known as the Shark Tank) in downtown San Jose. It’s a great venue and you can really make a fun night out of it by eating at one of the fine restaurants downtown or local pizza joints. 

    The Sharks played their first game ever in 1991 against the Vancouver Canucks. Our season tickets were affordable because they were in the nose bleeder section. One night, my husband and I were treated to tickets on the ice where the “pretty people” sit. Haha. It was fun and all, but you know what? It was cold and the view wasn’t as good as it is way up top. The benefits of the nose bleeder seats? One, your legs get a good work out getting to your seat. Two, you can see every corner of the ice and see the puck at all times and finally, the people are way more fun up there! They cuss, chant at the ref and are super rowdy. 

   The way the Sharks come on to the ice at the beginning of every home game is very exciting and dramatic. As you can see in the picture, they skate out form a shark’s head with red glowing eyes and music blaring. It’s pretty cool.


 I was stunned at my first hockey game when two opposing players started beating each other up on the ice. And the referee just watched for three or four minutes before separating them. I learned the fans love a good fight! Learning the cheers and chants were fun too. Let's not forget about the junk food and snacks. Why do nachos taste so especially good at a hockey game? We took our kids to many games throughout the years. Good memories.

    The San Jose Sharks have a special place in our heart ❤️

     (By the way they lost to the L.A. Kings tonight, 2-4)

1 comment:

  1. So glad I came across your blog!
    We are a Swiss hockey family, and one of our best guys actually plays for the Sharks, it's your number 28, I'm sure you know him! Also "Big Joe" is no stranger to our country. He uses contract lockdowns to play here, that's how he met his wife.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2021/04/a-z-2021-strike-while-iron-is-hot.html

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...