Monday, April 5, 2021

D is for David (my son and his music)

    David. What happened to my baby? He grew up, that's what happened - and he is following his passion and his dreams. 

    He is now 17 years old, a junior in high school. The summer after his freshman year of high school, he asked for guitar lessons. For a kid who wasn't into sports or the drama club, I welcomed the idea. He did enjoy drawing though; for he's artistic and creative. David was every music teacher's dream student. He did his home work and he practiced. 

    The pandemic hit and guitar lessons ceased. He is a big fan of you tube and continued learning from various guitar teaching videos. Part of being a student of music and its culture is knowing where you fit in, as far as the genres. He soon discovered after a lot of research that he fit into the year 2000 punk era and that's the music that made his little heart leap. 

    The following summer after sophomore year, he told me wanted to be in a band. He was passionate about this and determined to make his dream of being on stage performing come true. So, what does he do without my knowing? He goes on Craiglist. Of course, I gave him the time out signal with my hands and said wait a minute...you have to be so careful on Craigslist David, etc...and a small lecture ensued about the potential dangers and what not of putting an ad out there that reads, "I play guitar and want to join a band."

    Well, he had already put the ad out there and I just told him I would have to be involved and he wouldn't  be able to go to some random house or garage to practice. Not happening. An offer came in, and a band needed a bass guitar for a start-up punk rock group in Santa Cruz. I just did the sign of the cross and agreed to let him see where this leads. 

    There was one problem. David didn't play bass guitar, nor did he have one. David never thought it was a problem. He told the guys he could be the bass player for their band before they even met. His birthday was coming up, so I knew what he was getting for his birthday - a bass guitar. He studied and practiced with vigor before their first meeting, and to this day, I don't even think his band mates know he never played bass guitar before. I think that took some confidence and hutzpah on little David's part. 

      Long story short, this was an answered prayer. David needed to connect with other kids while being in quarantine. He wasn't part of a tight knit social group at school, so this became a social and creative outlet for him as well.  He shares his style, talent  and musical ideas with the band. They practice every Sunday evening at a music studio in Santa Cruz, with their manager always present (the lead guitarist's dad and former musician), and social distancing is mandatory. 

    If you listen closely (if you choose to, it is punk rock), some of the wording tells you a little about the message they're sending in this song in particular. The title of it is, "I don't want to be cool like you." It is referring to not wanting to be like the kids who think they're cool: 


            "just cuz' I do good in school, you call me a diehard..."

            "I know it's hard to say no, but sometimes your gonna have to let go",

            "stop doing drugs just for clout, your time is running out..."

            "I don't want to be cool, I don't want to be cool, I don't want to be cool, I don't

             want to be cool like you!"              

             

    No, he hasn't gotten his hair cut through Covid, but will be getting one tomorrow night. 

This is David, my last born and my little rocker. One of the nicest people I know ❤️ (and he is the one on the right with the retro green bass guitar)

                                                              (click to listen on Spotify)

                                                                                  ⬇️

                                                                      "Cool Like You"  


                                                                       ~ Street Freak~

            *and I'm certain God had his hand in the above. I have prayed he'd find his niche.



Street Freak recorded their first album (5 songs) at House of Faith recording studio in Oakland, Ca. They're working on new music and can be found on Instagram and Apple Music as well.

 

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I want my kids to play instruments but so far, none have. My middle put down band as his #1 elective option so here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...