Friday, April 2, 2021

B is for Bennie

     I met a young man named Bennie in the fall of 1984. I was working as a bank teller at Far West Savings & Loan in Almaden Valley, San Jose, California. As a twenty year old teller at a bank, it’s natural to scope out the cute guys who come in to do their banking business. This one day, a handsome guy came waltzing into the bank. He had dark curly hair, blue-green eyes and dimples at his cheeks when he would smile. He was average size, about 5’10” tall...but what really got me was the way he was dressed. He had on a dark pair of jeans, collared checkered shirt underneath a v-neck pull over sweater and a pair of nice sneakers. Yes, I remember. 

    From that day on, he would intentionally wait in my teller line so I could handle his transactions and we would chit-chat. He was also charming in his own way and it intrigued me. One day, I had chosen to wear one of my nicer dresses to work with a pair of matching pumps and he made the comment to me, “My, you look lovely today.” Okay, this guy had some class and I found out through our exchanges that he had graduated from UNR in June of that year, with a degree in Business.  I always found a man with an education appealing. I chose to start working out of High school. That “was” the end of my education up to that point. 

    It was now Christmas time. It was just a handful of us that worked at this branch and we decided to have a little Christmas cheer celebration on the Friday before Christmas. When you work at a bank, the end of a Friday was a reason to celebrate, holiday or not. The bank was closed and my co-workers and I were having some snacks and a glass of wine. Amidst our laughs and banter, Angela says, “Linda, there is someone at the door that I think wants to talk to you.” It was Bennie. I asked my manager if I could unlock the door. And so I did and he asked if I wanted to go out for a little while after my Christmas party and I said, “sure!”

    A plate of shared steamed clams and a cocktail later, we’ve been inseparable ever since.

                                                                                       



14 comments:

  1. At 9'10", Bennie is a tall drink of water.
    I had to chuckle that you were allowed to unlock the bank door after closing. These days, they might send a SWAT team if someone tried to get in.
    Definitely looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    (theme: Novel Research - novel as in different/interesting/unusual)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am cracking up right now...no wonder I didn’t get that proof reading job for the local newspaper I applied for! (I was 18). I’ll edit that. Should be 5’9” I know right, those days are long gone! Coming your way to visit 🌸

      Delete
  2. I used to work as a teller in a credit union. One of the young tellers had a crush on a guy that delivered cash to our vault. We tried hard to match them up, but it never went anywhere. So I loved reading about your match!

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Movies reflect human needs: Belonging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudy! I guess the it wasn’t meant to be for the teller and the delivery guy. It was a fun job...(except when the grumpy old man got in your line) 😄

      Delete
  3. Loved reading this...boy, Bennie is tall!!
    Look forward to reading more of your posts..
    Bouts-Rimés: Best Be Ready For A Bout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught it too! How did I miss that...he was 5’9”...haha. Thanks for visiting Lady in Red, I’ll be hopping over your way.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Romi ♥️ I told my husband that it was letter “B” blogging day and he said, “Did you write it about Bennie!”

      Delete
  5. This is such a cute story. I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sunday Visitor, I’ll be headed your way now to ready what you wrote. 🙂

      Delete
  6. Just stopping by to return the love

    Thanks
    https://www.dpfinnie.com/2021/04/c-is-for-cartoons.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story! So glad it turned out happily for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula Martin! Long time no see, it's so nice to hear from you! I'll head your way in a bit 🌺

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...