Monday, April 26, 2021

U is for umbrella


                                                         vintage smiley face umbrella

    I was about 9 or 10 years old when I was blessed with this umbrella. With the rainy season approaching, I had hoped that with my birthday in October and Christmas in December, that I could have the one thing in the whole world that I so badly wanted - a smiley face umbrella. I must have seen it in the toy section of the Sears catalog or perhaps advertised on TV. All I knew was that I wanted it! I would dream of the day I could glide through the school yard one morning with my smiley face umbrella, for all to see,  protecting me from the rain; the world! 

    Well, the day came and I cannot honestly remember whether I got it for my birthday or Christmas, but this umbrella was gifted to me. Then, I prayed for rain. The rain finally came. On that morning, from the back seat of my mom's car, I opened the door and carefully stepped out, popped open my smiley face umbrella and I would continue to promenade through the school yard of St. Mary's School and enter my classroom. My life was complete. 

    That's all it took... an umbrella with a bright yellow handle.

    My, how times have changed. The memory of this season in my life, takes me back to a much simpler time.

    

    

1 comment:

  1. That is such a heart-warming memory! I love your smiley face umbrella, and next time I feel grumpy because of rainy weather I'll try and remember that there may be a little girl out there who had been praying for this day! :-)

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2021/04/a-z-2021-universe-and-human-stupidity.html

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...