Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Wharf

 





                                        Old Fisherman's Wharf -  Monterey, California
                     

     I took these photos from a restaurant at the Old Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey. We were there for a car club dinner. When we arrived, it was daylight. I enjoy taking pictures and could hardly wait for the sun to set so I could capture the lights from the harbor with my iPhone. 

    I recall going to the Wharf in Monterey as a little girl with my parents on a weekend.  My dad would always get a bowl of clam chowder and usually a little plastic cup of wine. We would stroll the wharf as he ate his soup.  It was always a happy day for me. I could always look forward to choosing something special from the souvenir shop, then an ice cream cone. At the entrance to the wharf, there was always "the man with the monkey." This was the icing on our day at the Wharf. The man would crank his music box, while the little monkey dressed in shorts, suspenders and a hat, would take a penny from your hand. I can't remember where he would put the penny after taking it from me...I was fascinated with this little monkey - cutest thing I ever saw for sure. I can still see him at this moment, like it was yesterday. 

    The monkey hasn't been at the wharf for several years now. I think I heard it was not politically correct to have him as a form of entertainment and source of income on the wharf. There was always a large circle of people around this monkey working the crowd. Now and then, he would get a dollar bill or two.

    Today, the Old Fisherman's Wharf is still thriving. You can buy fresh fish from the local fishermen, spend a few hours on a whale watching boat and end the day with a great meal. It's a great spot for people watching too. 

    I live on the other side of this bay. I'm thinking it's time for a drive and some clam chowder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...