Monday, April 3, 2023

Collection


                                                                                


                                                       my current sea glass collection

        Living on the coast here in California, I have the pleasure of hanging out at the beach whenever I want. With all the storms we have had the past few months, it has made good pickings for sea glass finders. Low tide has brought piles and piles of small rocks, shells and treasures to shore. My favorite beach for hunting is Rio Del Mar State beach; a five minute drive from my home. It's a sweet little beach.  

                                                                                


    This last time I collected sea glass, I was having a very stressful morning. It was one of those days where there was no immediate solution to a problem. I was restless sitting with it and the thought came to me that this is the perfect time to run to the beach for an hour or two and hunt for sea glass. I find it to be a cathartic and meditative activity. In other words, it's a great way to relieve stress. Let's review why that is so...the view of the vast sea, the powerful and yet soothing sounds of the waves crashing, a light cool breeze on my cheeks, while I sit in the sand digging like a child. I use a piece of driftwood I found as my tool. This activity requires patience. The sea glass doesn't just jump into the palm of your hand. You have to sift through sand, small rocks, pebbles and shells. It's a great pass time and whatever problem was bothering me, doesn't cross my mind. It's all about finding the weathered glass. 

                                                                                       




    The above three photos are of the last time I was at the beach, and my findings. As you can see, I wasn't the only one looking for colorful smooth pieces of glass. 

    I came home feeling so much better. They say a problem shared is a problem halved. It was as though I shared that problem with the ocean. It's one of my favorite places to be! 

3 comments:

  1. That seaglass is so pretty. I live beside the sea in Australia but n=have never found anything like that.

    See my AtoZ posts at https://ballau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I like sea glass and have a few pieces from rare trips. But there are no opportunities to find it in Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live maybe a 30 minute drive from the beach, but I rarely go there. I've never been much of a fan of the beach even when I was a kid. I do love collecting things though. My house is filled with my collections much to my wife's frustration.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...