Monday, April 3, 2023

Bunionectomy


    Sure, I'll share my bunionectomy experience. For those that aren't familiar with this term, it is a surgical procedure that moves your toes back into the correct position. I also had an osteotomy, which simply means "cutting off the bone."                                                                                     


                                        (before and after x-rays of left and right foot)

    I had this procedure done to both my feet (at the same time) in November 2021. I had wanted to have it done for the longest time, but never took action to make it happen. I noticed the physical appearance of my toes were getting more noticeable and now I had pain to go along with it. Goodbye heels and hello Skechers. I finally made that call to the orthopedic surgeon and we talked. When I read her notes about the upcoming surgical procedure, she noted my condition as a "deformity of the feet." To me, it read "ugly feet." I was counting the days to have this procedure done. I conceded that yes, my feet looked ugly. I had been self conscious of them for quite a while. She asked me if I wanted to have one foot done at a time and I told her, "Let's get this done in one shot." 

    Checking into the hospital that morning was uneventful, then got a little squirrelly. For some reason, there were three nurses prepping me for surgery and none could find a good vein. The anesthesiologist then comes in and is irritated that it is taking three nurses to get me ready. He kind of chewed them out. Needless to say, this was no help to my anxiety about being ready to get my feet operated on. And I always get nervous about going under anesthesia. Who doesn't? 

    Well, the team finally got organized and off I wheeled into the operating room. The next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery.My nurse asked me if I wanted anything to drink. I was parched. She offered me  cranberry juice, which I gladly accepted. I downed that juice and the next thing I knew, I was horribly nauseous. Never again. Next time, maybe some ice chips or teeny sips of water. 

It was a long recovery off of my feet. I had a lot of support at home and very thankful for that. What does one do while lying on the bed for weeks? One paints rocks and that's what I did. The holidays were upon us, so I thought..."I'm going to paint some Christmas rocks." I ordered  Acrylic paint markers from Amazon and got busy. I have some experience in lettering and calligraphy, so this was a fun project. 


                                                                                                                            


I am ticked pink with the results of my surgery. "Goodbye Skechers and hello again Heels!"

                                                                         


                                                

2 comments:

  1. What a great result for you. No pain - no gain!!

    See my AtoZ posts at https://ballau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that worked out for you. Those rocks are so pretty and festive!

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...