Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Hammer

 


                                                                                   



    This simple picture holds much meaning. This small hammer is 60 plus years old.  It was my dad's hammer that he used for minor repairs and small projects. I was very close with my dad from a very young  age. I just loved hanging around with him and fascinated with everything he did. We spent a lot of time together mowing lawns, building fences and hanging out in his workshop that was in our garage.

    He could fix anything. He had that attitude of being able to fix anything and appreciated every fiix-it challenge. I watched him fix a lot of things and also re-purpose things for use in his work shop.

    I raised six kids, five of them being boys. I inherited my dad's skill and attitude for fixing things. I have fixed a lot of toys. It started with my attitude of,  "Sure, I can fix that. Let's take a look. " I was a good trouble shooter. Today, I look at things before I throw them out and think to myself,  "I can use this for this...or that." It's not that I can't afford to shop for new containers, fabric, jars, etc.  It's just something that is branded in my mind. I can still see my dad's lockers where he kept all his many tools, nails, screws and gadgets, that were stored in various re-purposed objects. I love to repurpose things! 

When my dad passed, I had to have this little hammer. It sat on his work bench and saw a lot of pounding in its day. It lives in my office/craft room. A lot of memories and inspiration in this little old tool.

2 comments:

  1. Isn’t it funny at the things we sometimes treasure as mementos. I’m sure it brings a memory at every glance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this.. I know I cherish such things I have of my dad as well.. and it is a treasure indeed

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...