Thursday, April 20, 2023

Quiche

 

                                        


    This cookbook is a wedding gift I received from my brother and his wife thirty-six years ago. Terri knew that I was very much concerned about my lack of cooking skills and practice, so this book was very much appreciated! There is a recipe in this book that stands out in my mind. It is Quiche Lorraine on page 166. Very early in our marriage, I had a small group of women over and I made this recipe. I forget what the occasion was, but Terri was at my gathering and she raved about the Quiche Lorraine I made. She went on to make this quiche for the ladies at her church and continues to make it to this day.

    I pull this book out at every holiday. I use it now and then throughout the year too. I made my first Au Gratin potato casserole from this book. It goes so well with a really good steak! I'm planning on passing this cookbook down to my only daughter. I found a handwritten recipe from my mom in between the pages the other day. If you're looking for a dish to go with your Sunday brunch, I highly recommend this recipe:

                                                                   Quiche Lorraine


Ingredients:

Pastry for 9 inch one crust pie

12 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled

1 cup shredded natural Swiss cheese (4 ounces)

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

4 eggs

2 cups whipping cream

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 425*.  Prepare pastry (I use ready made Pillsbury Pie dough). Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pastry-lined plate. Beat eggs slightly;  beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into pie plate. Bake uncovered 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 300*. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. 

6 servings; 625 calories per serving.

A simple, yet elegant dish. 

                                                         

1 comment:

  1. We have two Betty Crocker cookbooks. One from my mother after she passed, and one that was given to me when I got married. Do I use them? I might have when I first got married (long divorced from that one.) But now? I don't really cook. I prefer microwaving something if my husband isn't cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...