Friday, April 29, 2022

“X-ray”

 


    Here are my after and before pictures of my feet. On November 1, 2020, I had a double bunionectomy-osteotomy. This means I had bunions removed on both feet, along with bone cut and repositioned with a screw. My podiatrist asked me if I wanted one foot at a time done or both at once. After just a few minutes of thought, I said, “both, let’s just get this done.”

    My bunion journey has been a long one. Several years before Covid, my feet began hurting in certain shoes I would wear. Soon, they would hurt even when wearing tennis shoes. Aesthetically, it was getting hard to look down at my feet. To me, they looked worse than the x-ray on the right. The bone was protruding. I didn’t wear flip-flops last summer, they looked so bad. Today, I look down at my feet and smile. I’m still excited about the results. I have new feet!

    It is a six month recovery with this surgery. May will mark the end of my recovery period. I still can’t wear every shoe, as my feet are still a bit tender. And that’s fine with me. I was fortunate to have my husband take over with the household as I was sentenced to my bed for a month post-surgery. Slowly, I began to shuffle from one room to the next. Before the morning of surgery, I packed my lap top and an art supply bag and put it next to my bed. I was prepared to keep myself busy while recovering. 

    Two wonderful things came out of this surgery: New feet and being forced to be still. I tuned up my art skills during this time and watched YouTube sketch journal videos. I also practiced lettering and as Christmas approached, I painted some amazing rocks. They turned out quite nice.




    There’s always a silver lining if we look for one!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I've had a few of these in my time with my most recent being in October when I broke my arm (again!).

    Visiting from Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish u speedy recovery...glad to know ur feeling better..my mom had both knees operated...road to recovery was not easy. Hope u r doing the required stretches or physio therapies?? Not sure if they prescribe it there. Tc

    Congrats on reaching end of a to z. From "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new feet! I've never had a bunion and not ever sure what it would be like. I'd rather not contend with it.

    Those painted rocks are really nifty!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on nearing the end of your recovery period. It’s a big deal to get through something like that and how wonderful your husband was such a great support. We can take our feet for granted when they’re healthy but very unpleasant when not as I can also testify.

    Silver linings are there, it just takes some lateral thinking and courage to find them on occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...