Sunday, April 10, 2022

"Iguana" an acrostic poem

 

                                                                          

                            I - independent (mama lays the eggs, covers them and leaves)

                           G - green iguana (found in the tropical rain forest)

                           U - unique (each species has its own unique adaptations)

                           A -  active? No (they mostly lie around all day, getting up for snacks)

                           N - native to South & Central America

                           A - arboreal - (long toes with sharp claws & long toes for tree top balance)


    I have 5 sons and I'm pretty sure as little boys, they each asked if they could have an iguana. Going to the local pet store was a field trip for them. We came home with fish, teddy bear hamsters and even a Norwegian Dwarf Bunny once. As adorable as iguanas are, they require a lot of care. They had to settle for catching lizards in our yard. We would keep them for a week or so, then let him go. Even those little guys are high maintenance. I had to go back to the feed store to buy live crickets for them to eat. It was fun watching them hunt their meals in their habitat.  I always had an old terrarium on hand in the garage. A must when you have little boys.

5 comments:

  1. I have touched an iguana once , an orange one ! Cannot imagine having it as a pet though especially in a high rise apartment like mine

    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2022/04/idly-and-icecream.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very interesting creatures Jayashree!

      Delete
  2. When my wife and I visited her hometown of Guayaquil Ecuador she told me about the park, but she didn't want to take me there because she doesn't like reptiles.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a cool way to describe an iguana
    .....i can never touch one let alone petting it!!
    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...