Tuesday, April 26, 2022

"Undertow"

 






    I live 5 minutes from the ocean and am a faithful beachgoer, so the undertow has always been a concern of mine. I enjoy swimming in the ocean. Every now and then, I'll hear about someone in the Monterey Bay being taken out to sea by an undertow. There are certain beaches that are known to have recurring rip tides; it's always a good idea to become familiar with a beach before venturing into the water. After learning more about the undertow, I could spot them along the shore. It's an eery feeling when I see one. My son is a surfer and well educated about ocean currents. He pointed out a diagram like this one and it helped me to understand what I was seeing.

    Merriam Webster's definition of an undertow: 1 : the current beneath the surface that sets seaward or along the beach when waves are breaking upon the shore. 2 : an underlying current, force, or tendency that is in opposition to what is apparent.

    The speed of an undertow as it goes back toward the sea is alarming. The only way out of one should you get trapped in it, is to swim parallel out of it (to the side). As you can see, it is a narrow stream of water with great force. 

    With summer upon us, many will be heading for the Santa Cruz beaches. I always post a YouTube video about the danger of riptides and how to escape one on social media as summer approaches.

    If you love the ocean water as much as I do - stay safe out there!  

    

    

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow..i never experienced one thankfully and never heard too....is the current and speed that bad?...i just wish people know abt it and stay vigilant

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rips or undertows are scary. We live near the beach too and it’s surely something to watch for.

    Visiting from https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com

    ReplyDelete

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...