Monday, May 2, 2022

“Zoo”

 


    I do not like zoos. Have I ever gone to zoos? Yes, I have. When my kids were little, I took them a few times to a small zoo in San Jose. It was a very nice park with kiddie rides and climbing structures, a puppet show stage, food vendors and a train. There was also a zoo portion of this park with a little petting zoo.

    It tugged at my heart strings as we would pass near the tiger’s small enclosure, as well as the bear’s small pen too. It was summertime and the animals looked hot. A summer day in San Jose ranges from 90 - 100+ degrees easily. It made me sad to know they would never have the experience of a long gallop or run. There were other animals too, like the hippo. A small pond for it to cool down in and no mud to roll around in. The monkeys seemed to be stir crazy. I always left with a heavy heart and with unease.

    The last zoo I went to was the San Diego Zoo. This was probably twenty years ago. It was the final straw when I watched a polar bear trudge around in the hot sun. There was something terribly wrong with this picture and I felt a little sick. 

    When I was a little girl, I would watch a show called “Wild Kingdom” (wonder if anyone remembers) and Jacque Crusteau, with my dad. We would marvel at the beauty of nature and wild animals. If I could shut down every zoo today, I would. Wild animals were born to be wild and roam. We have no right to cage them. I am grateful for the animal advocates out there who put their beliefs into action and are the voices for animals who are wrongfully treated. 

    


                                                                        Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zeus

                                                                                                      I'm still not ready to write about...